Sunday, March 29, 2015

Robertus Bobak, bicycle builder in Secondlife

I run into the most interesting people on a daily base. Like yesterday...


I was just calmly guarding my street corner when I noticed a Dutch-speaking gentleman drop from the sky. (Well, that is what people seem to do in Secondlife after all, so I just call it that way.) It didn't take long to figure out he wasn't in need of any of my 'services', but that's not always a reason not to have a chat with someone.
This person was the once-famous Secondlife bicycle builder Robertus Bobak, who still has a shop on the Amsterdam region. I never knew that he was a personal acquaintance of one of my old SL friends.Together with his former SL business partner, Gerrit Milner, Bobak used to run the bicycle business Bobak & Milner. Robertus built the bikes, Gerrit sold them.


Bobak;s business partner used to be a good friend of his in SL and did the craziest things. Robertus remembers a meeting, it must have been in 2007, when Dutch companies entered the virtual world cluelessly, when he teleported his partner into a meeting with real life banking executives, all dressed seriously. Milner entered the scene, falling from the sky in his horse avatar, still wearing his carrier bicycle...
That's what always made Secondlife fun, the characters, the weirdness. Even when we are serious. It's a pity some of our old friends left though. But we also found many new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment