Wednesday, April 26, 2017

A street whore and her tattoos: Brandi


A street whore and her tattoos: Brandi

Today I chatted with my colleague Brandi, who calls herself a 'part-time street whore'. I am not sure what full-time would mean, but she uses the word 'part-time' as a way to explain that a person can't just do one thing all the time without it going stale on her. We all need our hobbies.

fortune favors the bold

I asked her about her tattoos. Many of us carry at least one tatttoo. My regular readers will know my dragon (in different versions throughout the years) pretty well by now. Brandi read me hers:

"Fortune favors the bold"

(I use the American spelling here, as that's the way her tattoo spells it) is the translation of a Latin proverb, which exists in several forms with slightly different wording, where Fortuna is the goddess of luck, such as
  • audentes Fortuna iuvat (literally: "fortune favors the bold")
  • audentes Fortuna adiuvat ("Fortune comes to the aid of those daring")
  • Fortuna audaces iuvat (from the adjective audax, audacis, from the verb audeo), literally: "Fortune helps the bold".
These Proverbs in turn descended from Fortes fortuna adiuvat. (literally: "fortune favours the strong") used in Terence's comedy play Phormio, line 203. It was cited by Cicero in the 1st century BCE as a vetus proverbium ("an old proverb")
You will realise I found all of this information on Wikipedia. Where would I be without them? On the streets probably, ohh wait ...

dance like nobody's watching

The other one you is a well-known quote, of which the origin is hard to find. The quote is often attributed to William W. Purkey, but the site Quote Investigator casts doubt on that. I will just say that it's a nice text:

"Dance like no one is watching,
Live like you’ll never be hurt,
Sing like no one is listening,
Live like it’s heaven on earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment